This never made sense:
- Financial downturn causes unemployment and decreased tax revenue
- Austerity: cut employment and destroy civil society
But this makes sense:
- Rich people cheat on taxes, institute a monetary regime with no safeguards, and speculate like crazy, leading to financial downturn
- Rich people make help conditional on austerity
- Desperate governments agree and finally start desperately selling everything they own like a cancer patient on an HMO
- Massive profit for rich people!